Two for the Road is a hangout for mystery writers Tammy Kaehler and Simon Wood to chat, reminisce, gossip, speculate and argue about all things motorsport.

Monday, June 25, 2012

A Road Course in NASCAR's Chase

by Tammy

During NASCAR's race at a road course in Sonoma, CA, today (can we call it Sears Point again? I think so), the broadcasters posed the question: Should there be a road course in NASCAR's chase to the championship. And they asked people to respond with #roadyes or #roadno on Twitter. (I was shocked when they showed response percentages mid-race and 74% were voting yes.)

None of you will be surprised my answer is a resounding YES. In fact, I think NASCAR should race four road courses every year, and one of them should be in the chase. I'm not arguing with ovals (what would be the point?). But when you're talking about the best driver in a series, I want to know that they're the best across types of tracks. I understand the drivers are tested across superspeedways and mid-distance, and short tracks. But that list should also include road courses.

And I'm sorry for the person who tweeted "Jr is in 23rd.. this is why I vote #roadno" ... but Junior and the rest of the drivers will just have to get better at road courses.

Though I did appreciate one #roadyes respondent who pointed out, "NASCAR's been racing on roads since inception and bootleggers did make right turns. It's true to the sport."

I submit for consideration the idea of stock cars in the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca (top map). Or sending the Cup cars with the Nationwide cars to Road America (right).

What do you think? Should there be a road course in NASCAR's 10-race Chase? And where would you love to see the Series run?

2 comments:

  1. Would there be as many Yes votes if the question was asked during an oval race?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on the track. I would vote for Watkins Glen.

    ReplyDelete