Two for the Road is a hangout for mystery writers Tammy Kaehler and Simon Wood to chat, reminisce, gossip, speculate and argue about all things motorsport.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hard Charging

By Simon

Last year there was a bit of ruffled feathers over racing drivers were athletes. I can see why people would think that. Drivers do spend their career sitting down, but it’s tough on the body. You need physical strength and stamina to put up with the punishment of being hurtled at crazy speeds for lap after lap.

If you don’t believe me, allow me to present exhibit #1: Jenson Button.

Jenson took part in the Lavaman Triathlon in Waikoloa, Hawaii during his three-week break between races. It’s nice to have a hobby, I suppose. He completed the 1.5km swim, 40k bike ride, and 10k run in a little over two hours.

That’s impressive. I’m a pretty good road cyclist and it would have taken me an hour and quarter just to finish the bike portion. So don’t let me hear any of you dissing racing drivers aren’t athletes.


In other news, DID NOT FINISH is out in paperback in the US this week and the follow-up HOT SEAT came out in the UK in hardcover this week. I hope you'll pick up a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment