Two for the Road is a hangout for mystery writers Tammy Kaehler and Simon Wood to chat, reminisce, gossip, speculate and argue about all things motorsport.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Corvette Confessions

by Tammy

I have a confession to make: I don't love all Corvettes.

Mind you, I don't love much from the 1970s and 1980s, let alone Corvettes from that era. And while I love the C6.R on the track and as the epitome of a racecar, I couldn't actually see myself owning or driving one.

But I think the new Corvette C7 could change my tune.

I spent Saturday at the Petersen Automotive Museum for their 60th Anniversary Corvette Celebration. I sat in a vendor booth chatting to everyone who walked by and made eye contact and selling some books. One of my usual questions in a situation like that is "What's the coolest thing you've seen today?"

But I realized the first time I asked the question how moot it was. The answer? The 2014 Stingray.

Sure, it was only a show model, with no real interior and, I'm sure, no engine or other underpinnings. Just the shell of the new design. Which didn't matter. It's still pretty awesome.


What with not really leaving my booth at all, I only managed a quick look and a couple photos on my way out of the event. But it's just as good in person as you've seen in the photos. Except maybe the back ... I'm still not convinced about that Camaro rear end. But the rest of it just might go a long way to making Corvettes appeal to a younger clientele (according to wikipedia, median owner age is 53, and 82% of owners are between 40 and 69 ... sure, some of that is price, but they don't have the same cool factor as a Ferrari, for instance).

One last confession: I like the new Stingray coupe better than the convertible (see it on the Corvette Blogger's site), in part because I think the line of the C-pillar is what gives this model some of its European supercar flair.

What do you all think? Do you like the new model? What about coupe versus convertible?

No comments:

Post a Comment