Two for the Road is a hangout for mystery writers Tammy Kaehler and Simon Wood to chat, reminisce, gossip, speculate and argue about all things motorsport.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Racing Year in Review

by Tammy

Simon and I are taking a blog hiatus for the end of the year (going dark for 2 weeks over the holidays), and when I return, it will be January 6, 2014. Leaving aside that I'm not prepared for the new year, at that point, we'll be less than two weeks to the 24 Hours of Daytona, the first race of the year and the first race of the TUSCC (the Tudor United Sports Car Championship). Big stuff.

So it's time to reflect on what I thought was significant about 2013. Chime in with your thoughts and anything I've missed....
  • Daytona 24: I was embedded in a race team, and it was fabulous.
  • Daytona 500: Danica on pole, which set a bar too high for her to meet the rest of the year. By the stats, I think she did well for a rookie, but of course, the Danica lovers or haters will believe what they believe, no matter what. We'll see if she improves in 2014.
  • Long Beach Grand Prix: the introduction of Team Kate! And the start of the long good-bye to the American Le Mans Series (the merchandise trailer was absent from this race, for instance).
  • Indy 500: Kanaan wins!
  • Le Mans: the death of Allan Simonsen (which, as I noted in a blog post, eerily reflected a plot idea I'd hatched just the night before), the triumph of Audi. Leena Gade as a rock star.
  • Baltimore GP: what a bus-wreck of accidents.
  • IndyCar: A more contentious year between drivers and Race Control? The oval races were mostly uninteresting? Dario retires.
  • Petit Le Mans: farewell to the ALMS. Hello to the Corvette Stingray. A great time had by all.
  • Formula 1: a total snoozefest. I'm not sure I watched more than 10 laps of a single race.
  • NASCAR: Jimmie wins 6. Danica receives hate mail. Smoke breaks a leg. 
What did I miss? What do you remember as being the most significant racing events of 2013? Overall a thumbs-up or thumbs-down?

Hey, while you're ending the year and prepping for 2014, make sure you're following me on Facebook and Twitter (@tkaehler and @katereilly28)!

No comments:

Post a Comment