Two for the Road is a hangout for mystery writers Tammy Kaehler and Simon Wood to chat, reminisce, gossip, speculate and argue about all things motorsport.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Racing Resolutions

by Tammy

Happy 2012 to everyone out there, especially you racing fans! I have to be honest, I haven't been thinking about racing much lately. I've been thinking about writing, which usually means racing, but I've been more concerned with plotlines and character motivations than on-track action. And we're in the off-season, of course, so there's not much to watch and only rumors and team-swapping to read about.

But that's going to change soon. Whereas December felt like the wind down from the last season (for the spectator, at least, because I know teams have been out testing in past weeks), January very much feels like the ramp-up. As if the new engines have been bolted in the new chassis and turned over for the first time. All about possibility and potential. Because we've got only four weeks until the first event of the season here: the 24 Hours of Daytona!

But in the meantime, I'm thinking about the year ahead in racing. I'm getting out the calendar and thinking about what I might get to, what I'm excited to watch, what races to clear my schedule for, what real-world plotlines I'm looking forward to watching. And here's what I've resolved:

1. I will be very busy at the Grand Prix of Long Beach weekend, April 13-15, catching up with all the great friends (pros and fans) I made at races over the last year. Can't wait to see you all here!

2. I will pay more attention to IndyCar. I expect I may know some people in that organization this year, and I'm really eager to see how the women of IndyCar do (though it's hard to say just yet which women will be there driving). Fingers crossed for Pippa Mann and Katherine Legge to come through with good, final news.

3. I will try to understand the point of ovals. I'm open for some people to work on explaining this to me. Please? Of course, IndyCar will have a lot fewer ovals next year....

4. I will root for Danica in the Nationwide series. I really do want her to do well there.

5. I will not say anything bad about Kyle Busch ... until he does something to merit it.

6. I will try to get to both a NASCAR race and an IndyCar race this year. Anyone up for Sonoma or Fontana? How about going to Fontana with me and explaining ovals? (Of course, where I really want to go is Bristol ... August?)

7. I will share my enthusiasm with other race fans. This is the easy one to promise, because you all make it lots of fun. (A shout out to Kevin and Mike shown here with me at the ALMS Monterey race!)

How about you? What are you resolved to do this year? What are you looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment