Two for the Road is a hangout for mystery writers Tammy Kaehler and Simon Wood to chat, reminisce, gossip, speculate and argue about all things motorsport.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Dream Teams and Matchups

All we're left with of racing for 2011 is our memories and dreams. So that's what we're talking about this week, the dreams we have. Specifically, the "dream teams" we'd like to see, whether that's drivers with cars, drivers with each other, drivers and series ... you name in. In fact, you should name it and tell us what you think.

TAMMY: I've got a couple dreams of drivers and races, and a dream of a competition I'd like to see.

1. F1 drivers, Michael Schumacher in particular, at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I'd like to see how "the greatest drivers in the world" handle one of the toughest endurance races in the world. Just look at how Michael Waltrip's mind was blown by participating in the race this year for some indication of how different and exciting a race it is.

2. NASCAR at Laguna Seca. Wallowing walruses of cars in the corkscrew. Need I say more?

3. A U.S.-series-based Race of Champions. The Race of Champions is a competition that takes place in December each year, in other countries, where two drivers from each (most?) countries around the world compete on an indoor course in four different cars. I've only caught the show once, because it's not usually televised here, but it was FANTASTIC. I want to see champions from every U.S. series (even if those champions aren't American) competing head-to-head like this, in a variety of cars. I think that would be unbelievably awesome.

I'd settle for the real Race of Champions being televised here. Sadly, I don't think that's any more likely than my other dreams. Simon, what would you pay good money to see?


SIMON: Tammy and I park our cars in the same garage when it comes to racing dreams and fantasies.

1. My dream pairing is in the realms of fantasy, but Tammy didn’t set any rules. If I could wave a magic racing wand, I’d have Prost and Senna share the same car in the 24hrs of Le Mans. Excitement and fireworks and that would just be in the pit garage. :-)

2. I’d like Grand Prix racing to return to the US, but instead of butchering Indy or cobbling together some street race, can we have it as one of the US’ fabulous driver’s tracks such as Road America or Mid-Ohio.

3. I think I mentioned the “Winter Series” that used to occur in the 90’s in the UK. It was a 4-race series run in December at two different tracks. It featured a couple of the entry level racing formulas and sports cars. It was a nice idea, but weather in the UK isn’t the best place for it, but it is for the lower half of the United States. How about a short race series spans the circuits from Florida to California in December and January involving Indy Lights and a couple of other series types. It would satisfy my racing addiction and give the circuits some additional income.

Those are our dream matchups, but what about you? What would you like to see happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment