Two for the Road is a hangout for mystery writers Tammy Kaehler and Simon Wood to chat, reminisce, gossip, speculate and argue about all things motorsport.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Must-Drives

SIMON:I have an automotive bucket list. They are the cars I must drive before I die. Some of them are likely to kill me in the process but so be it.

My must-drives are:
1. A modern Grand Prix car. I’m not fussy. Any one will do. I just have to experience the pinnacle of the automotive brilliance.

2. A Ferrari
308GTS. Yes, that’s the Magnum PI car. It's a tad slow by modern standards, but I don't care. I’ve wanted one of these since I was ten years old and I was planning to buy one by the time I was 25. However, I blew my Ferrari fund on racing. In the space of 3yrs, I could have bought two.

3. Aston Martin DBS. I think Aston’s resurgence over the last decade is fantastic. They have the world’s most beautiful cars. Sorry Ferrari. Also they sound fabulous.

4. A Caterham Super Seven. If a sports car had to be reduced to its essence, it would be Colin Chapman’s Super Seven. It’s about handling, power and weight. Nothing else is necessary.

5. One of Jim Clark’s Grand Prix cars. Again, I’m not fussy. I just want to driven what he raced. It’s as simple as that.

6. The Jaguar XJ-13. It was the successor to the D-Type. Sort of. Never got beyond the prototype stage. It’s a tad exclusive seeing as there’s only one. It was my favorite matchbox car that I had as a kid. I’d spend hours just looking at it. This might be tough task, but it could happen.

This list could keep going, but I'll stop there. This is a nice list of awesomeness that I'd love to get my hands on, even just for a day. So what's on your list, Tam Tam?




TAMMY: My dying-to-drives aren't as likely to kill me because I'll be too petrified of messing them up to do much with them.

1. 1957 T-Bird. My dad owned one when I was growing up, but it left the family when I was 10. I'd like to tool around in one and look cool some day.

2. 1957 Corvette. (Sensing a theme here?) That may be my favorite car. At least of the moment.

3. A Jaguar E-Type. Simply awesome. I'm realizing that my list is mostly about how cool I'll look and feel driving around in them. Is that bad? Who cares. It's my list.

4. A New Bugatti. Just because it costs so freaking much. I'll make sure to put my husband in the passenger seat so he can chant "$100, $100, $100" with every passing mile to represent how much it costs. (I made that figure up, by the way.)

5. 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. Oh yeah. The pinnacle of Detroit steele and futurama styling. Just enormous and absurd and awesome.


What about the rest of you? What's on your bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment