Two for the Road is a hangout for mystery writers Tammy Kaehler and Simon Wood to chat, reminisce, gossip, speculate and argue about all things motorsport.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Racing Bucket List

Today we're talking about races and tracks we most want to see.

Tammy: I've been lucky enough to see a lot of great racetracks, though my viewing has been biased to the sportscar racing that I write about. But there are still a number of must-dos on my list ...
  1. The 24 Hours of Le Mans. That's absolutely at the top. I've been following the American Le Mans Series and talking to drivers, teams, and friends who've gone to participate or see it. I've watched it for years. I want to write about it. I just can't wait for the real experience! (Next year, I hope.)
  2. NASCAR at Bristol Motor Speedway. I attended a NASCAR Cup race at a longer racetrack (Fontana), and the sights and sounds blew me away. But I want to see short-track racing, particularly at the track drivers describe as "flying a jet fighter in a toilet bowl."
  3. Formula 1 at Monaco. It's the crown jewel in racing worldwide, isn't it? I want to see the spectacle of the series, the location, and the attendees every bit as much as I want to see the race.
  4. The Nurburgring. I don't care if I see a race or just get to drive around the track with the hundreds of other people who queue up and pay their fee. I have got to see the 13-mile extravaganza of a track!
  5. Formula 1 at Spa. I want to see the fastest cars in the world dealing with the complex of Eau Rouge and Raidillon, launch into the steep uphill of the Kemmel Straight, and trust skill and luck over the blind rise into the corners of Les Combes.
I know there are more, but those are the ones that leap out at me. Simon, what's at the top of your list to see?

SIMON: I have to be a copycat but I would agree with you on 1, 3, 4 & 5 on your list. I want to do them for the exact same reasons as you. We may have to take a joint trip for items #1 & #4.

But I would replace Bristol with Black Rock Desert where the land speed records go to be broken. I’d love a chance to blast across that hot and dusty service.



If I can, I’d like to add a 6th item to my bucket. I’ve never driven on an oval track and I’d like to have a go. If I could have my pick, I’d like to a whip around Michigan International Speedway because it’s a two-mile super oval with crazy steep banking. It’s a case of go big or go home (via the hospital, probably).

That's us, what's on your bucket list when it comes to your driving ambitions??

No comments:

Post a Comment